Now Accepting Submissions for Issue 3
|LENGTH||Prose: 300-12,000 words / Poetry: 5-40 lines / Plays: 2500-3000 words|
|GENRE||Slice of life, Drama, Romance, Fantasy, Science Fiction, LGBTQ+|
|LANGUAGES||English (We accept stories from around the world, but translations are encouraged).|
|RIGHTS||First world electronic rights (text), first print rights|
We are interested in work that is strong and stands alone. We want work that is optimistic and generates an empathy for people in the world. Dark themes and tones are fine as long as hope is the driving mechanism or takeaway. We accept work from any level of writer, so please submit!
Submissions must adhere to the following guidelines to be considered for publication:
- Format: Submissions must be in Microsoft Word (.docx) format. This is because we handle a full editing process for all our successful submissions, and we do this best through Microsoft Word. Please adhere to standard manuscript formatting for your submission. See this article for more information.
- Type: We accept: Flash Fiction, Short Stories, Poetry, Short Plays and Visual Poetry.
- Tonality: We relish work that brings hope and a passion for everything in life. We enjoy reading work that represents different cultures and a united sense of togetherness, either in the setting or the characters. Keep it hopeful, and more importantly, keep it meaningful.
- Genre: We accept Slice of life, Drama, Romance, Fantasy, Science Fiction, LGBTQ+.
- Original works: We want work that has not been published elsewhere. That means the work must be in a universe/setting that you have created. We prefer stories that are as original as possible, particularly in the conflicts and characters.
- Extreme Content: We do not encourage the extraneous use of sex and violence. This magazine is not aimed to the advanced literary adult (sensual erotica novels) audience, and therefore must incorporate semi-appropriate themes in the story.
- Poetry: We accept poetry up to 40 lines that has not been published elsewhere. Note: We do not accept poetry collections. Please submit only one poem at a time.
- Novel Excerpts or Serials: We are NOT interested in novel excerpts or serials–we only want self-standing stories.
- Reprints: We publish only originals (stories that have never previously appeared anywhere in print or online). We do NOT consider reprints (stories that have previously appeared anywhere in print or online, including on a personal website or blog, or self-published on Kindle, or as Patreon or Kickstarter rewards).
- Multiple Submissions are accepted: We accept multiple submissions, but not more than 5 poems and 3 stories at a time.
- Plagiarism: We do not tolerate plagiarism, and any plagiarism will be met with a ban from publication.
- All Writers: We welcome submissions from all writers, of all nations, nationalities, ethnicities, backgrounds, faiths, genders, orientations, identities, experiences. We’re looking for great stories, by anyone and everyone. We welcome submissions from new and unpublished writers.
Non-Fiction Submission Guidelines
The Literatus is looking for essays and articles of interest. We are looking for a wide range of types of articles including, but not limited to: book reviews, author interviews/discussions, discussions of genre publishing business, essays on the writing process and the reading experience, and so on.
We want to see:
- Articles that are thoughtful, in-depth, and well-written
- Subjects that we haven’t covered before
- A clear passion for the subject matter
- Articles that represent minority writers
- Interviews/Reviews that describe an author’s uniqueness and personal flavor.
How to Submit
Email your submissions according to the guidelines above in a Microsoft Word (.docx) document to email@example.com. Do not forget to include your bio of 3-4 lines (in third-person perspective).
If submitting art, include a few lines of what your art depicts.